PRIMARY: The Engineering Technician is responsible for helping plan, direct and coordinate manufacturing processes in the shop; responds to manufacturing or mechanical issues and concerns to ensure products are produced to specifications and requirements provided by the customer. The Engineering Tech supports engineering activities in compliance with established company and manufacturing standards, principles, and specifications. Engineering Techs are to support the Manufacturing Engineers to complete assigned tasks and responsibilities as outlined.
SECONDARY: Work with shop personnel to help collect and analyze data to aid in process improvements through activities such as Kaizen events or other lean events.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The following education and experience qualifications are the minimum required for the position of Engineering Technician:
- 2 year technical degree in mechanical engineering or similar field.
- 0-3 years’ experience in manufacturing, or related field.
- Basic understanding of lean manufacturing.
- Good project management skills and initiative in taking on and completing projects.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Microsoft office (Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.).
- Print reading.
- Interpersonal skills to coordinate with other departments and managers, working as a team
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: The following education and experience qualifications are highly preferred for the position of Engineering Technician:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or similar field such as manufacturing.
- Project management skills and initiative in taking on and completing projects.
- CAD experience with/knowledge of CATIA, NX, or Solidworks.
- 5-axis manufacturing experience/knowledge.
- Advanced interpersonal skills to coordinate with other departments and managers, working as a team.
- 3+ years of experience within the Aerospace manufacturing industry.
- Experience working with manufacturing based technology, processes, and principles and assemblies.
- The Engineering Technician reports directly to the Engineering Manager.
- The following positions report directly to the Engineering Technician:
AUTHORITIES: The Engineering Technician is granted the following Authorities:
- To exercise the responsibilities, and perform the duties, of this position. This includes full decision-making authority for all responsibilities and duties managed, outlined within the Position Role Sheet for this position.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Engineering Technician upholds the following Responsibilities:
- Adhere to the codes of the company’s Quality Management System.
- Learn and use all appropriate modules of our Management Information System (JobBOSS Job, Unipoint; MS-Office’s Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.).
- Coordinate with the Manufacturing Engineers to create/modify master planning, compile planning packets for production and distribute to shop.
- Help develop planning using ERP system for machined parts and assemblies based on customer’s design requirements.
- Analyze blueprint details, corresponding flag notes, and appropriate engineering specifications to determine appropriate information needed to create/modify the fabrication planning.
- Research all customer requirements from customer digital product definitions, then develop and implement fabrication planning accordingly.
- Coordinate with the Manufacturing Engineers and manufacturing personnel to perform and document time and tool studies to support engineering estimates and quotes.
- Work with other engineers to support the customer – design new solutions or improve existing programs.
- Develop, implement and document improvements to the manufacturing processes in order to eliminate waste.
- Suggests improvements for manufacturability, improved quality and cost savings.
- Create and implement improvement processes in production and assembly to reduce errors and waste.
- Identify the need, and create work instructions and setup information for new work coming to the area.
- Identify and implement opportunities for process improvement and increased efficiency.
- Supports other engineers to design and build fixtures for manufacturing, quality, assembly and other departments as required.
- Provide support and technical training on safety, quality, and overall shop fabrication and assembly process standards.
- Participate in Internal audits – work in quality teams to develop effective corrective actions.
- Support processors to ensure conforming parts and first pass yield. This includes creating and implementing processing aids, visual aids, PowerPoints, and fixtures while maintaining a high level of communication with processing houses.
- Utilize production work orders (Travelers) and associated documents to complete work per all engineering requirements as defined in Job Travelers to ensure part(s) meet all customer quality requirements per the company’s AS9100 Quality System.
- Follow prescribed workplace rules and standard safety regulations at all times.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: The Engineering Technician must achieve the following:
- Ability to read and write work instructions and procedures in English.
- Ability to follow and give written and verbal instructions in English.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as specs, BOM’s DPD, Parts Lists, CPA’s.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES: In addition to performing the duties of co-workers when necessary, the Engineering Technician performs the following Duties:
- Consult with Manufacturing Engineers and Engineering Manager to ensure that our plans of action will meet our commitments contractually to our customers.
- Learn and use all appropriate modules of our Management Information System (JobBOSS Job Control/ERP Software; MS-Office’s Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.)
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS: The Engineering Technician must achieve the following:
- To achieve and sustain optimum productivity in the department by ensuring that planning and supporting documentation is accurate and produced on or ahead of schedule.
- Working directly with Manufacturing Engineers and Engineering Manager to resolve production concerns that arise.
- To uphold and promote the integrity and core values of the company.
- Show continuous skill level improvement by training.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands or fingers, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to a plant environment to include moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and explosives. Safety Glasses must be worn at all times. On shop floor Safety Toe (Steel or Kevlar) shoes or boots must be worn at all times. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $16.00 to $20.00 /hour
Action Staffing Solutions is proud to offer fair and equal employment opportunities for everyone. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to any non-merit factor.
The duties, responsibilities and other details in this job description may be subject to change at any time. The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor of the skills and abilities required.